Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday #firstworldproblems

It's Friday afternoon, which means despite the casual dress attire and Chipotle take out (like I said its Friday ya'll, treat yourself), I am still literally counting down the minutes until I can pack my bag and head home for the weekend.  Surely someone with this much excitement for the end of the work week would have some huge weekend plans, right? Absolutely not and I couldn't be more excited.  Tonight mostly consists of more take out, leftover Halloween candy, a glass or bottle of wine, and Netflix. Both my roommates are out of town which means all bets are off, pants are optional, and my laundry will be free to sprawl outside of my bedroom walls.

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to it.

But let's get back to the office. I arrived late to work after rushing from a fitness class, only to realize I had left my mug of fresh coffee sitting on the kitchen counter in my apartment. Though it may seem like no real cause for concern, being a person of routine, I was quite certain the remainder of my Friday was ruined. I made my way through morning emails and voice mails, completely irritated and caffeine-deprived. Tasks that normally would have taken a few minutes, were consuming much longer periods of time due to my complete lack of concentration and/or motivation. I answered a few phone calls, only to be further annoyed by the "completely incompetent".

I am so grateful for my coworkers--not only are they encouraging, funny, helpful--they accept my occasional irrational irritability and/or pretend not to notice. My friend Megan stopped by my desk this afternoon to deliver this little note, and my afternoon was turned upside down.


"Our workday lives are filled with opportunities to bless others. The power of a single glance or an encouraging smile must never be underestimated." -G. Richard Rieger

Despite the daily inconveniences that can seem so trivial at times, we have to opportunity to respond in a way that will bless others.  Instead of selfishly looking for ways to turn our day around, we can look for the possibility to make someone else's better. 

I taped it right to my work phone so that each time it rings and I'm tempted to answer it with negativity, I am reminded to switch it out for gratitude and a positive attitude. 

Only a few more hours left until its officially the weekend! But whose counting?? Happy Friday!


No comments: