Sunday, July 13, 2014

Tanzanian Dependence.

It has been three weeks since I arrived home from my trip to Tanzania, yet I find myself daily wishing to be back with all of the friends we made and places we visited along the way. While I am still processing through all of the lessons learned from our trip, I wanted to share something I learned specifically from one of the teachers at a school we visited. I hope her words will impact you as much as they did me. 

"It was difficult. The floors were covered in mud and the students had to sit on concrete blocks because there were no desks for them.  Water leaked through the ceilings, the rain almost impossible to keep out. But we were happy. And the students were happy, because we had Christ living in us."

These simple words from Sister Mlay will forever change the way I look at the circumstances in which I find myself.  How easy it is to become so self-sufficient in a culture with all of the resources we need so readily available.  In becoming more and more self-reliant, we find ourselves needing and seeking out God less and less.  We begin to credit our success to our own efforts and capabilities, instead of giving any glory back to the One who created such capabilities within us in the first place.  But take away the comfort, take away the means and resources, and what do you have?

Dependence.

Total dependence on the only One who can provide exactly what you need and in a way that will bring Him glory.  The people of Tanzania understand this.  It is a lesson they have taught me.  True happiness doesn't come from a job promotion, a checking account, or even suitable desks for students.  It comes from Christ living within us, when we allow Him to take control of our circumstances, believing that His timing and in His power, only He can provide for our needs.  And in a way greater than we could ever imagine.

So while I will continue to pray for God's continued blessings on the people of Tanzania and the work they are doing there, I am so thankful for the reminder of our need to depend on God, to find our satisfaction and happiness in Christ and Christ alone.

If you are interested in learning how you can help support the people of Tanzania, please let me know.  I would be happy to put you in contact with some of the partnerships and people we know and get you connected. There is such a need and your support could truly change the lives of the people living there! 


No comments: